20th Annual Conference of the Plant Population Biology Section of the Ecological Society of Germany, Switzerland and Austria GfOe.
Organized by the Institute of Botany, Section Plant Ecology, University of Basel. http://pages.unibas.ch/botschoen
We herewith invite all interested colleagues to the 20th Annual Conference of the Plant Population Biology Section of the Ecological Society of Germany, Switzerland and Austria.
We will offer two and a half days of talks with attractive keynote speakers, a 20th birthday party on Friday night, and excursions on Saturday afternoon. We explicitly invite students to present oral contributions.
Scope of the Conference
Twenty years after the first conference of central European plant population biologist we intend to explore Perspectives of Plant Population for the next two decades. Renowned keynote speakers will highlight these perspectives covering topics such as ecological and evolutionary genomics, reproductive biology, conservation, landscape ecology and biological interactions. We encourage related contributions, as well as contributions to all other aspects of plant population ecology and genetics.
Jonathan Silvertown, The Open University, Great Britain:
The future of ecology in a connected world
Joop Ouborg, Radborg University Nijmegen. The Netherlands):
Ecogenomics: entering the next phase of the Darwinian paradigm.
Ivana Stehlik, University of Toronto, Canada:
Plant reproduction at the crossroads between Ecology and Evolution
John Pannell, University of Oxford, Great Britain:
Signatures of colonization in plant metapopulations
Markus Fischer, University of Bern, Switzerland & University of Potsdam, Germany:
On the role of plant population biology for conservation
15 Feb 2007 Opening of registration by e-mail
31 Mar 2007 Deadline for reduced fee registration
6 April 2007 Extended deadline for submission of talks/posters
15 Apr 2007 Full programme announcement
The conference language is English. Talks have to be in English. Posters should preferably be in English. However, German posters will be accepted.
Call for Talks and Posters
We invite you to submit abstracts for oral and poster contributions. We especially encourage talks by students.
Talks will have slots of 20 min including discussion. Computer and computer projector (beamer) will be available in the lecture hall. Please bring your presentation on a compact disc or memory stick. It will not be possible to use your personal laptop.
Posters should be in A0 format; poster walls size is 100 cm width x 180 cm height. Material for poster mounting will be made available.
Extended Abstract Submission Deadline: 31 March 2007
Send your conference registration per eMail to Sylvia.Martinez (at) unibas.ch Point out whether you want to give a talk or present a poster. Please include your abstract (max. 2200 characters, no figures or tables). This text will be used for the conference proceedings (please indicate: author, co-authors, title, abstract text). For details, see section registration & fees.
Excursions and Guided Tours
On Saturday afternoon we offer:
• A guided tour in the Botanical Garden of the University, including a visit behind the scenes (free of charge), http://pages.unibas.ch/botgarten/
• Field trip to calcareous grassland habitats in the Swiss Jura mountains (€ 10)
Tentative Programme & Conference Site (venue)
• Conference begins on Thursday, 17 May 2007, first talk at 9.00h. Registration desk opens at 8.00h, on Wednesday (16 May) from 17 to 20h.
• Conference ends on Saturday, 19 May 2007, at noon, optional fields trips in the afternoon
• Conference will be held in the main building of the of the University of Basel (auditorium), Petersplatz 1, Basel.
• Conference dinner on Friday evening (18 May) will be held in the Botanic Garden of the Institute of Botany, University of Basel, Schönbeinstr 6, Basel.
Website | PDF Download
• Sylvia Martinez, sylvia.martinez (at) unibas.ch, phone: +41 61 267 3503,
Institute of Botany, Basel University
• Jürg Stöcklin, Juerg.Stoecklin (at) unibas.ch,
Institute of Botany, Basel University
Directions to Conference Sites (Venue)
•Lectures and poster sessions: Auditorium (Aula), main building of the University of Basel (Kollegienhaus), Petersplatz 1, Basel. The building is in 3 minutes walking distance from the Institute of Botany and its Botanic Garden. -> Map <-
• Conference dinner: Botanic Garden, Institute of Botany, University of Basel, Schonbeinstr 6, Basel -> Map <-
• Please note: There are parking garages close to the venue. They charge fees. Free parking in the city is difficult to find, use the outskirts of Basel.
We strongly recommend to book your accomodation as soon as possible.
• Hotel Spalentor Schönbeinstrasse 1, 4056 Basel (Across the street from the Institute of Botany). Ask for university rates and mention reservation code: Popbio 2007
• Hotel Steinenschanze, Steinengraben 69, 4051 Basel
• Hotel Bildungszentrum 21, Missionsstrasse 21, 4056 Basel (Across the street from the Institute of Botany).
• Jugendherberge Basel, St. Albankirchrain 10, 4053 Basel (closest to the venue)
• Basel City Hostel, Pfeffingerstr. 8, 4053 Basel
• Basel Pack Pack, Dornacherstrasse 192, 4053 Basel
Official tourism website: http://www.baseltourismus.ch
Registration & Payment